Dr. Alrabiah holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania; U.S, M.S. of Computer Science and another M.S. degree of Information Science; B.S. of Financial Management and Mathematics from the College of Business Administration, King Saud University.
He has published more than 16 papers in international journals took part in conferences, and co-authored Saudi National IT Plan vision document, which formed the basis for developing the Saudi National IT plan.
Dr. Alrabiah has worked as Assistant Professor at King Saud University from 1999-2002, Director General of Information and Communications Technology Sector, at the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA) from 2002-2007, Director General of Saudi Industrial Property Authority (MODON) from 2007-2011. In the month of April 2010, he was entrusted to work as Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Supervisor of the National Industrial Strategy. He is the Minister of Commerce and Industry, since 2011, and occupies the following positions since 2011 up to now:
• Minister of Commerce & Industry, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
• Member of Council of Ministers.
• Member of the General Committee for the Council of Ministers.
• Chairman of the Board of Directors of Saudi Arabian Standards Organization (SASO).
• Chairman of the Board of Directors of Saudi Industrial Property Authority (MODON).
• Chairman of the Board of Directors of National Industrial Clusters Development Program (NICDP).
• Chairman of the Board of Saudi Council of Competition Protection.
• Chairman of the Board of Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA).
• Chairman of the Board of Saudi Export Development Authority (SEDA).
• Chairman of Saudi Authority for Accredited Valuators (Taqeem).
• Chairman of the Saudi Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
• Member of the Permanent Committee at the Supreme Economic Council.
• Member of the Supreme Economic Council.
• Member of the Supreme Petroleum & Minerals Council.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Food and Drugs Authority.
• Member of the Board of King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy.
• Member of the Board of Directors of General Investment Fund.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the General Organization for Military Industries.
• Member of the Board of Civil Defense.
• Head of the Saudi side for several joint commissions with other countries.
Dr. Alrabiah is occupying the position of Minister of Commerce and Industry since December 2011. Earlier he worked as Director General of the Saudi Industrial Property Authority (MODON) from April, 2007 to December 2011. At MODON, a lot of achievements have been realized through him, namely: launching of new industrial cities development, expansion of some existing cities and re-establishing of some cities. These developments and expansions resulted in 80% rate of growth in the industrial area, in comparison with what had been developed for the last 40 year.
In addition, he led the privatization of water services, central cooling services and residential accommodations.
Furthermore, led the development of telecommunications and adopted the idea of building smart cities, within the industrial cities, by providing high-speed communications’ networks with smart services, as well as improved public services, commercial and governmental services in the industrial cities. MODON achieved a qualitative improvement in the services provided and in the amount of industrial lands allocation.
Dr. Alrabiah contributed in the establishment and development of a group of manufacturing companies and businesses in the Kingdom. Previously during his tenure as Director General of the Information and Communications Technology sector, at the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA). He played a distinguished role in attracting huge international investments in this field.
He also worked on the development of the national IT plan, and co-authored the Saudi National IT Plan vision document, which formed
the basis for developing the Saudi National IT plan. He is a board member of several distinguished organizations, such as, The Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu, Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA), Saudi Railways Organization, Human Resources Development Fund, Saudi Industrial Development Fund, Gulf Organization for Industrial Consulting (GOIC), Badir Information and Communication Technology, Saudi National IT Plan Council, Saudi Computer Society, member of board of a faculty at King Saud University, and a teaching fellow, at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.